9.21.2010

My Day of Teaching Snot-Nosed High Schoolers and the Psychological Repercussions

I stole this idea from Mary's sister Kristen's friend because it amused me so much that telling the events of the day in bullet points can real be more revealing about just what kind of day you've had than if you actually explained it all in detail.

So.

My Day of Teaching Snot-Nosed High Schoolers and the Psychological Repercussions
(in bullets)

-Got to work 20 minutes late and was on receiving end of the nastiest crusty from the office secretary when I went to pick up the key.

-Tripped on the stairs heading to the classroom.

-It's about 40 degrees in here.

-Got locked out when I went for a drink.

-Duct taped the office open.

-Spilled a palm-full of hand sanitizer on my pants.

-Noticed a gaggle of students watching me try to soak the blob of hand sanitizer up with a spare piece of printer paper.

-Took attendance in 3rd period (Creative Writing) on the nifty laminated seating chart with a wet-erase marker.

-Got wet-erase marker on my face.

-Opened my Diet Coke.

-Got Diet Coke on my face.

-Sent the Seniors to SEOPS. Juniors started on their in class essay. Juniors tried to convince me that they were Seniors.

-Explained for the nth time what a thesis sentence is. One student turned it in at the end of class.

-17-year-old flirted with me for 45 minutes while I was ignoring him and working on my own homework. Yes, I totally cared about how you flipped a guy over your shoulder in front of his totally hot girlfriend and then got her number.

-Helped a little baby junior with her essay during the stupid 1/2 hour of wasted time (thank you, Mrs. Briggs) called Enrichment/Intervention. Go me.

-Sent Seniors from 5th period to SEOPS.

-In-class essay. They actually did it. AP: 1, Creative Writing: I hate you.

-Ran to meet my mom.

-Drove my mom to class.

-Drove back to PHS, late.

-Ran into 7th period (Technical Writing).

-Panicked and yelled, "Seniors, to the Presentation room."

-Ran after them and gave them their homework.

-Ran back to class. Gave juniors their work.

-Ran into my reading class. Turned on a movie. (Oh, hush. It's kinda teaching.)

-Ran back to Tech Writing. Went over handout. Started computers up.

-Computers wouldn't work.

-Restarted computers.

-Told them to do it anyway.

-Wrote this blog.

-Cried a little inside.

-Bell rang.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, that was just delightful. Since I'm incredibly high-brow, my favorite parts were when you got various things on your face.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really? I kinda like when I spilled sanitizer on my pants and tried to mop it up with printer paper. Printer paper, in case you didn't know, isn't very absorbent. In fact, it kinda just spreads things around.

    ReplyDelete