4.06.2011

Before I die, I want to . . .

First, look at this: http://www.creativereview.co.uk/cr-blog/2011/april/before-i-die-candy-chang

Now, look at this: http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/7669043/ns/today-live_for_today/


It seems that what we assume our lives should be full of fantastic adventure and erudite epiphanies. Our concept of a fulfilled life seems to bear little to the reality of what individual people want their lives to be. Maybe as we get older, our expectations diminish. We learn to revel in a bit of sunshine or a cold drink or any number of the small delights in life.

When I was little, I wanted to visit every country in the world. I was going to graduate from high school early, finish my B.A. in three years, and be rich by the time I was 25. I was going to have a string of broken hearts behind me. I was going to publish a cogent, revolutionary novel before I left high school. I was going to be one of a kind, so that those who passed me by on the street would pause and think to themselves, "Gee-golly, that Rosemary sure is one of a kind."

Needless to say, none of these things have happened.

And if these were still my goals, I would be a glum little thing.

I've changed. I've lived, and because of that, I have new aspirations, ones that actually have a slim chance of making me happy.

Before I die, I want to spend a whole day just writing.
Before I die, I want to sing by myself in a field.
Before I die, I want to see the Northern Lights.
Before I die, I want to have have a truly selfless moment.
Before I die, I want to fall in love with someone who love me back.
Before I die, I want to feel certain.
Before I die, I want to climb a tree.
Before I die, I want to dye my hair blue (all of it).
Before I die, I want to grow up.
Before I die, I want to do a lot of things, but I don't want to be boring!

1 comment:

  1. Rosemary I don't think you could be boring even if you tried :) Also I think you would look great with Blue hair....just saying.

    ReplyDelete