4.23.2010

Define me

Definitions worry me. So many complicated words and definitions should not be minimized to black and white print. Some words are seriously misrepresented in the dictionary. Introvert, for example. Regarding psychological inversion, Google defines an introvert as "one who focuses primarily on their own mind, feelings, or affairs." That just makes me sound selfish. In fact, Google goes on to define selfish as "concerned chiefly or only with yourself." Hmmmmmm . . . I get what you're saying, Google, and I just have to ask: where do you get off? Let us not forget that Google is very similar to ogle, which means (as we well know) "to stare at impertinently, flirtatiously, or amorously." You cyber slut.

It might be ridiculous to get so worked up over such a definition, but I believe in accuracy, and the Google definition for "introvert" is far from accurate. Let's consult a real dictionary. "Introvert: one whose personality is characterized by introversion." I hate when dictionaries do this! Using another form of the word in the definition is not a definition; it's a pansy-ass cop out. Still, I'm committed enough to this blog post to also look up introversion and get a complete definition. "Introversion: the state of or tendency toward being wholly or predominantly concerned with and interested in one's own mental life." Merriam-Webster just made my list.

Is this seriously an accepted definition? The introverts are just selfish, caustic individuals who cannot see beyond their own experience even if they wished to? Because I am going to follow in Luke's example and throw the flag up on that one. Bullshit.

That's a prime note to end on, but I'm going to ruin it because I have more to say. Google, Merriam-Webster, and all others who buy into this official definition crap, I just want to clear a few things up. Being an introvert does not make a person asocial. In fact, introverts can be quite adept in social situations. Introversion is not synonymous with shyness or awkwardness. Simply put, introverts are drained by being with people and energized by being alone. It's a different mentality, but in no way does it ill-equip someone for life, and introverts can enjoy the company of others just as much as an extrovert can sometimes enjoy spending time alone.

There. I've said my piece. And, just to punctuate my point, I'm going to throw the flag on Google and Merriam-Webster again. Bullshit.

2 comments:

  1. As an extrovert of epic proportions, I support this post. I do not hate on my differently wired comrades who just have to recharge in solitude instead of the middle of crowd. It doesn't mean they don't know how to party.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe you're not an introvert then? Rather than changing the definition of a word to fit your interpretation seems like a whole lot more work than just declaring you're not an introvert. :P just sayin.

    ReplyDelete